Our village has about 650 inhabitants and is situated in the middle of the beautiful and impressive Tyrolean Alps at about 1000m above sea level. The Loisach River rises to the west of the village - in the Loisach Springs, which are extremely popular as a photo motif - and flows through the entire municipal area. Situated on the edge of the Wetterstein Mountains and close to the German-Austrian border, our little village is visible from the Zugspitze. Biberwier is part of the tourist area of the "Tiroler Zugspitz Arena", so our guests benefit from the numerous activities and offers that are available in the entire valley basin of the region. You can find more information on the homepage of the Tiroler Zugspitz Arena.
By the way, the place name Biberwier is no coincidence: until 1800, the industrious rodents are known to have lived along the local mountain streams, after which they disappeared for 200 years. In the meantime, several beaver populations have reestablished themselves in and around Biberwier. Their traces can be seen in many places! Biberwier lies on the Via Claudia Augusta long-distance cycle path, which runs along the ancient Roman road of the same name - and this is exactly where the journey through the town's eventful past starts. Finds from Roman times show that the small village was already important for this important traffic route early on. From the Middle Ages until 1921, Biberwier was dominated by mining.